Unidentified Maker (American, Lower Southern Piedmont)
Pembroke Table, ca. 1795-1810
Cherry with light wood inlays, possibly sycamore, yellow pine
28 1/2 x 33 3/8 x 43 inches
Georgia Museum of Art, University of Georgia; gift of Pheobe and Ed Forio
Frederick Marquand (American, 1799-1882)
Teapot, ca. 1819-1830
7 3/4 x 11 3/4 x 5 15/16 inches
Georgia Museum of Art, University of Georgia; gift of Beverly Hart Bremer
Unidentified maker (American, Lower Southern Piedmont, possibly Augusta, Georgia)
Secretary and bookcase, ca. 1800-1820
Birch, walnut, yellow pine, holly, brass, ivory
110 1/2 x 43 1/2 x 21 1/4 inches
Georgia Museum of Art, University of Georgia; gift of Beverly Hart Bremer and Phoebe Gould Forio
Selections from the Permanent Collection: Georgia Decorative
January 26- April 27, 2008
Selections from the Permanent Collection: Georgia Decorative Arts Highlights, an installation that will feature objects from the museum’s permanent collection and a few items on loan from private collections will be on view at the Georgia Museum of Art from Jan. 26 through April 27, 2008.
This installation will be shown in conjunction with the exhibition New Discoveries in Georgia Painted Furniture and will be on view during the Fourth Henry D. Green Symposium of the Decorative Arts, “A Colorful Past: Decorative Arts of Georgia,” to be held February 22-23, 2008, at the Georgia Museum of Art. In contrast with New Discoveries, this installation will feature objects in all areas of the decorative
arts and includes items from the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries.
Some of the objects to be displayed are recent additions to the museum’s permanent collection such as a Neoclassical Pembroke table from the lower southern Piedmont and a lidded jar by Ron Meyers, a contemporary Athens ceramist. A Frederick Marquand silver teapot and a number of textiles will also be
“This installation is an exciting chance to highlight our growing collection of Georgia decorative arts and will include several never before displayed acquisitions,” says Ashley Callahan, curator for the Henry D. Green Center for the Study of the Decorative Arts.
This exhibition is generously sponsored by the W. Newton Morris Charitable Foundation and the Friends of the Georgia Museum of Art.
For more information please visit: The Georgia Museum of Art